What about to travel by train?
We don’t have airport in my city so to get to another destination in Ukraine I could use train, bus or a car, but most frequently I use trains. I like travelling by trains, but what I’ve seen that different countries have variable types of trains.
If you will come to Ukraine you have to try our Ukrainian trains. They are not that fancy, but there are many things which you could experience during your trip and here I will share my favorite things about travelling by train in Ukraine:
1. A cup of tea in a train. It costs only 5 UAH (0,2 EUR) but it has a special taste of a trip. Even if I’m not thirsty or cold I try to use the opportunity to feel the warm smell of train adventure with its tea.
2. The views. Ukraine is a very green country with rich flora, so during the trip by train you could observe many of picturesque views, you won’t be able to see travelling by other means of transport.
3. The sounds of mind. I don’t know how people reproduce in English the sound of a train, but this sound is not annoying at all – it sounds like adventure… I feel pretty comfortable while travelling by train and the atmosphere in the cabin makes me think of faraway places. My mind goes beyond the distances and thinks about the places I want to go and people whom I miss so much.
4. Train inspires. You have quite a good amount of time to use your creativity without interrupting to check your Facebook, e-mail or some other services, because there is no Wi-Fi in Ukrainian trains (except of the Intercity+ which is not serving my city 😉 I use this time to write applications, grant proposals and since September 2015 bog posts. If there is a night train I simply use this time to sleep.
5. “Train hostel”. In our trains you can lie down and have a nap, because the places are designed as shelves for sleeping. Ukraine is not a small country – we are one of the largest in Europe so we just need the transport which could offer passengers to sleep during the trip. To reach some of the destinations you have to spend more than 24 hours.
6. I don’t like talking to a strangers, but sometimes I could do an exception, when they seem to be polite and interesting. But usually people spend time in trains talking to many of passengers trying to share their loneliness and troubles, anyway they might not see those people again. For many of people it is a good soul treatment.
7. Some of our trains (those which cross the whole Ukraine) have restaurant – cabin. I don’t know where else in the world trains have restaurants but I would like to know and explore international train restaurant. So if you know – share with me, I`d like to try the food there =) I’m so excited about it.
8. The last but not the least – our trains are quite cheap. You can travel to different destinations in Ukraine starting from 2 EUR. It depends on the distance, class and type of a train. For students they offer 50% off for travelling in economy class.
I always think where I could get by a plane if to take into consideration the time I spent in the train to reach the destination. Yes airplanes are much faster but still there is it’s special romance in travelling by trains, and to some of the destination you won’t be able to go by air. Not yet inspired to travel by train? Watch the iPhone slideshow with train`sounds ❤